The European Commission has published new white papers on its goals for creating a single market for personal and non-personal data and promoting the development of artificial intelligence in Europe. The aim of the strategy is to create a genuine single market for these data that are secure and easily accessible to businesses and the public sector to create and innovate. The report proposes legislative measures based on the following concepts:
- Establishing a governance framework for data access and use.
- Empowering individuals to exercise their rights over the data they generate.
- Investing in SMEs to ensure better access to data.
- Strengthening Europe’s infrastructures for hosting and processing data and for interoperability.
- Developing common European data spaces in strategic sectors such as industrial, mobility, energy, agriculture, and health.
The Commission seeks feedback on its data strategy until May 31, 2020.
Read more on JDSupra.