back to main menu

Intro to Acquisition 101

Hello,

Wondering how someone would begin teaching Acquisitions 101, whether it’s a contractor or federal employee, in a 90 minute course or the major elements?  It can take years to really master it but how would you begin to describe it. 

Almost like describing a sport to a 6 year old

Here’s a very rough draft and would be interested in some thoughts: 

Class 1: Intro to Acquisitions

-what is acquisitions/procurement?

-describe the FAR (U.S.C., HSAM, DFARS)

-what is a contract?

-definition of a contract

-procurement type (ffp, t&m, cpff)

-govt contract types (Idiq, vendor, assisted and unassisted IAA, RA, p cards, sf-182)

-roles (CO, COR, PM, stakeholders)

-sample award example

Exercise- identify elements of sample award 

Scenarios, client is going to use what govt contract type

Thanks!

——————————
Tim Kohlrus
Prog. Mgr. in Acq. Mgmt.
——————————

Replies

1. I think this is definitely a good start. You’d need some post-award elements in there, as well, and I’d want it to be as practice- and example-heavy as possible (walking through each step of a procurement).

Although, most critical would probably be a set of comprehensive acronym flashcards. 😉

——————————
    Jonathan Messinger
    Public Spend Forum
    Washington DC
    ————————————————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 01-05-2017 20:13
    Subject: Intro to Acquisition 101

Hello,

Wondering how someone would begin teaching Acquisitions 101, whether it’s a contractor or federal employee, in a 90 minute course or the major elements?  It can take years to really master it but how would you begin to describe it. 

-what is a contract?

-govt contract types (Idiq, vendor, assisted and unassisted IAA, RA, p cards, sf-182)

-sample award example

Thanks!

——————————
    Tim Kohlrus
    Prog. Mgr. in Acq. Mgmt.
    ——————————

2. Hi Tim, thanks for your post! I think an “Acq 101” course would be a fun undertaking, and as a matter of fact I built something similar in a past job supporting the Veterans Affairs Acquisition Academy. 

I’ll give some more thought to your outline here over the weekend and early next week and give you some more detailed feedback.

Are you looking to develop something for internal use, or is this just more of a thought exercise? I know one thing on my agenda as Director of Learning & Content Development here at PSF is to create some basic courses to help new acquisition professionals, so maybe we can combine forces and help each other out!

-Frank

——————————
    Frank McNally
    Director, Learning & Content Development
    Original Message:
    Sent: 01-06-2017 13:05

I think this is definitely a good start. You’d need some post-award elements in there, as well, and I’d want it to be as practice- and example-heavy as possible (walking through each step of a procurement).

Although, most critical would probably be a set of comprehensive acronym flashcards. 😉

——————————
    Jonathan Messinger
    Public Spend Forum
    Washington DC
    Original Message:

Hello,

-what is a contract?

-sample award example

Thanks!

——————————
    Tim Kohlrus
    Prog. Mgr. in Acq. Mgmt.
    ——————————

3. Acronym flashcards might be a whole lesson unto itself haha. I was thinking of building out the 3 courses internally for my company’s seminar learning center.  Post-award elements definitely would be in there but thinking that could be a whole class unto itself.  I used to assist in teaching FAR Part 7 Acquisition Plans for a client that was a full day but don’t want it to be that completely in-depth.

I kind of want to make sure I capture how the process initially works and likely describe the U.S. Code to FAR to Component level interpretation.  I feel that is missed out before you start developing a SOW/PWS, market research, IGCE ,etc. 

I’d definitely be up for helping build out some basic courses and just finished throwing together a reference slide deck with links to useful sites that I plan on using for the course, which I wouldn’t mind sharing.

Thanks for the input!

——————————
    Tim Kohlrus
    Manager
    Dynamis
    Original Message:
    Sent: 01-06-2017 17:51

Hi Tim, thanks for your post! I think an “Acq 101” course would be a fun undertaking, and as a matter of fact I built something similar in a past job supporting the Veterans Affairs Acquisition Academy. 

I’ll give some more thought to your outline here over the weekend and early next week and give you some more detailed feedback.

Are you looking to develop something for internal use, or is this just more of a thought exercise? I know one thing on my agenda as Director of Learning & Content Development here at PSF is to create some basic courses to help new acquisition professionals, so maybe we can combine forces and help each other out!

-Frank

——————————
    Frank McNally
    Original Message:

I think this is definitely a good start. You’d need some post-award elements in there, as well, and I’d want it to be as practice- and example-heavy as possible (walking through each step of a procurement).

——————————
    Jonathan Messinger
    Public Spend Forum
    Washington DC
    Original Message:

Hello,

-what is a contract?

-sample award example

Thanks!

——————————
    Tim Kohlrus
    Prog. Mgr. in Acq. Mgmt.
    ——————————

4. What a good idea! I’d just hate to take the “pop quiz” :-)!!!!

——————————
    David Wyld
    Professor of Management
    Southeastern Louisiana University
    Hammond LA
    Original Message:
    Sent: 01-07-2017 11:31

Acronym flashcards might be a whole lesson unto itself haha. I was thinking of building out the 3 courses internally for my company’s seminar learning center.  Post-award elements definitely would be in there but thinking that could be a whole class unto itself.  I used to assist in teaching FAR Part 7 Acquisition Plans for a client that was a full day but don’t want it to be that completely in-depth.

I kind of want to make sure I capture how the process initially works and likely describe the U.S. Code to FAR to Component level interpretation.  I feel that is missed out before you start developing a SOW/PWS, market research, IGCE ,etc. 

I’d definitely be up for helping build out some basic courses and just finished throwing together a reference slide deck with links to useful sites that I plan on using for the course, which I wouldn’t mind sharing.

Thanks for the input!

——————————
    Tim Kohlrus
    Manager
    Dynamis
    Original Message:
    Sent: 01-06-2017 17:51

Hi Tim, thanks for your post! I think an “Acq 101” course would be a fun undertaking, and as a matter of fact I built something similar in a past job supporting the Veterans Affairs Acquisition Academy. 

-Frank

——————————
    Frank McNally
    Original Message:

——————————
    Jonathan Messinger
    Public Spend Forum
    Washington DC
    Original Message:

Hello,

-what is a contract?

-sample award example

Thanks!

——————————
    Tim Kohlrus
    Prog. Mgr. in Acq. Mgmt.
    ——————————

You must be logged in to post a comment.